General Education Science Instructor, Sub
When you join our faculty at West Coast University, you’ll become part of a team that always puts students first. And that means you’ll have the tools, technologies, resources and support you need to make a real difference in their lives, empowering new generations of healthcare leaders. Get ready to learn and grow in an energized environment with year-round curricula, collaborating with talented colleagues and reimagining healthcare education as we know it.
- Minimal Travel (if any)
What makes a successful member of the Faculty team at West Coast University? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Socially Conscious
- Technologically Savvy
“If you are looking to work at a university that takes care of its students, faculty, and staff and allows you to live a prosperous, fulfilling, and healthy life, this is the place for you.”Paul P. Instructor ii, Gen Ed Non-sci, orange county
associate since 2013
We offer a generous benefits package with a wide range of the plans, programs and support you need to thrive.
Day of Service
Our Mission & Culture
At WCU, the work you do empowers our future nurses, therapists, dental hygienists and more — propelling them into our communities where they can do the most good. As part of our dynamic, energized culture, you’ll contribute to our unique mission that always puts students first. You’ll collaborate with incredible people, grow in your profession, and transform healthcare education. Discover what it means to truly believe in the work that you do.
Reporting directly to the campus Academic Dean and/or University Chair of General Education, the Instructor I, General Education supports the University in fulfillment of its mission, purpose and goals. Creates an educational environment which fosters innovation, responsiveness, and accountability. Provides professional leadership and support, and serves as an educator, role model, mentor and facilitator. Focuses extensively on facilitating student learning associated with prescribed course and program learning outcomes. Provides program-specific expertise and is actively engaged in relevant department initiatives. Supports University, campus, and/or departmental goals in order to assure compliance with programmatic accreditation and/or licensure, internal consistency, and graduate outcomes that meet student learning, workplace and placement expectations. Actively and substantively participates in assessment of student learning activities at the course and prog5ram level to maximize the potential for students to learn what is necessary to meet prescribed outcomes. Vigorously upholds a culture of academic integrity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.)
- Fulfills assigned teaching load.
- Consistently follows the master course syllabus.
- Effectively uses the LMS to supplement instruction (i.e., adaptive learning and flipping the classroom).
- Participates in and contributes substantively to course and program level assessment activities via a continuous improvement plan as set forth by General Education and/or the University.
- Regularly contributes to improvement of course materials and syllabi within prescribed shared governance culture.
- Consistently employs a variety of teaching methodologies to instruct students always with intent to facilitate observable evidence of student fulfillment of prescribed learning outcomes.
- Ensures that all laboratory safety protocols and procedures are followed.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for teaching and the teaching/learning process and for individual students.
- Keeps regular approved office hours (for FT faculty).
- Follows established University protocols for providing timely feedback and/or academic advising (i.e., Grades in Progress, student Letters of Concern, etc.).
- Experienced and competent teaching skills as demonstrated by:
- student evaluations
- peer evaluations if assigned
- administration reviews
- evidence of documented student achievement of course student learning outcomes
- Mentors and takes an active interest in students.
- Actively engages in tutoring and remediation initiatives.
- Attends professional development activities each year as agreed upon with supervisor in associate development plan.
- Attends teaching development activities each year as assigned by supervisor to enhance teaching/learning skills.
- Attends all-faculty meetings twice per year (for full time faculty attendance is required, for adjunct faculty attendance is strongly recommended.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND SERVICE:
- Attends Department, College and University meetings/councils as arranged/approved by supervisor.
- Demeanor reflects collegiality and behavior demonstrates professional and ethical conduct.
- Maintains membership in a professional organization.
- Develops connections within professional community both inside and outside the University.
- Contributes/demonstrates ongoing service in at least one of the following areas:
- Community or Public Service
- Profession (member of professional organization)
- University -- other alternative approved activity as identified by Faculty Handbook
- Actively and substantively participates in General Education and University initiatives as assigned.
- May assist with gathering program data to ensure best practices and optimal student outcomes.
GENERAL SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Records and posts daily class attendance and grades as required, completes and submits assignments in a timely manner, and grades tests, quizzes, lab assignments promptly, returning constructive feedback to students as soon as possible. Engages in systematic collection of student’s work for University outcomes assessment purposes.
- Master’s degree in specialty field required.
- If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization required.
- Must provide a documented background in educational methodology consistent with teaching assignments including but not limited to education theory and practice, or current concepts relative to specific subjects he or she will be teaching, or current clinical practice experience, or distance education techniques and delivery.
- Two or more years’ experience (minimum of 30 teaching credits of instruction, or 10 3-unit courses or equivalent) in teaching in a university or college setting required.
- If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Products, especially Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and other MS office products as needed.
- Program specific:
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards and/or accreditation bodies.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
No recently viewed jobs.
Don’t have any jobs saved yet? Then start looking! Once you’ve found one you’re interested in, click the heart icon to save a job.