Assistant Dean, Pharmacy, Experiential EducationLos Angeles, California Job ID: 201521
The Assistant Dean, Experiential Education will work closely with the Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice and administratively reports to the Dean, School of Pharmacy. The Assistant Dean, Experiential Education develops, maintains, and oversees experiential sites, student placements, and affiliation agreements for the Pharmacy program. The Assistant Dean, Experiential Education is ultimately responsible for adequacy and quality of all experiential sites. The Assistant Dean, Experiential Education is responsible for development, implementation, and monitoring of Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs) and their achievement for Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs). Ensures that the experiential manual, policies and procedures, and syllabi are current and accurate. Manages all operational aspects of APPE and provides oversight on all operational aspects of IPPE. Develops and maintains a robust preceptor development program and ensures preceptor engagement in the program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.)
- Identifies, recruits, and retains quality sites and preceptors for IPPEs/APPEs.
- Oversees and ensures adequacy and quality of IPPE sites.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships to support the experiential program.
- Ensures capacity for APPEs.
- Assesses site/preceptor needs and challenges and assists preceptors by providing necessary resources and resolving challenges.
Preceptor Development Quality Assurance
- Develops and implements a comprehensive preceptor development program.
- Takes the lead in organizing and delivering a bi-annual preceptor appreciation and professional development seminar.
- Ensures all preceptors complete orientation/onboarding.
Policy and procedures/operations
- Coordinates APPE courses and ensures achievement of learning outcomes.
- Assists in the delivery of IPPE courses.
- Refines the APPE curriculum utilizing feedback provided by preceptors and students as well as direct observation of the sites to continuously improve experiential curriculum and student learning outcomes.
- Develops and refines appropriate assessment tools to continuously evaluate the effectiveness of learning and student outcomes in APPEs.
- Evaluates student feedbacks and the OEE’s evaluation of preceptor and site to provide feedback to preceptors and ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Contributes to the School of Pharmacy Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) initiatives based on the strategic plan of the School; assists in establishing formative and summative indicators of achievement; assists in using data in a continuous and systematic process of evaluating the outcomes of the Office of Experiential Education and School of Pharmacy.
- Leads the ongoing development and maintenance of all policies and procedures in the OEE.
- Oversees the experiential program including capacity, evaluation of students, preceptors and sites, and ensuring appropriate site specific student compliance is satisfied in the APPEs.
- Plans, coordinates, and manages students assigned to all APPEs.
- Ensures quality of the students’ APPE learning experience by establishing specific learning objectives, conducting site visits, immediately addressing challenges/conflicts as they arise.
Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy with substantial practice experience or terminal degree (PhD, EdD, or PharmD) from an accredited college or university which includes substantial course work in pharmacy, a pharmaceutical discipline, education and/or administration required.
- Current Registered Pharmacist License or other current professional licensure by state or national board if applicable is required.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set forth by the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set forth by any accreditation body that West Coast University is accredited by or in process of obtaining accreditation from, for area of expertise and expectations of faculty member as set forth in regulatory documents.
- Must maintain any professional certifications deemed necessary to meet the requirements of the role.
- Previous academic and practice experience in community or hospital pharmacy is required.
- A minimum of three years administrative experience at the director level in an accredited school of pharmacy or a comparable leadership position outside academia.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution is required.
- A minimum of two years of prior experience teaching in an ACPE accredited College/School of Pharmacy program.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of experiential education is required.
- Knowledge of education/governmental compliance and regulatory standards such as ACPE, WASC and other accreditation standards is required.
- Knowledge of contemporary pharmacy practice and administration.
- Experience with MS Office Suite.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
“My colleagues and coworkers are sincerely passionate about student success and have a strong team spirit. Our fundamental goal is to improve the quality in our education and service. WCU rewards people with strong team-spirit, a great vision, dedicated commitment, and a high ethical standard.”SOPHIE S.ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, GEN ED SCI, ORANGE COUNTY
ASSOCIATE SINCE 2017
No recently viewed jobs.
Don’t have any jobs saved yet? Then start looking! Once you’ve found one you’re interested in, click the heart icon to save a job.