Full Time Med Surg Clinical Instructor
When you join our faculty at West Coast University, you’ll become part of a team that always puts students first. And that means you’ll have the tools, technologies, resources and support you need to make a real difference in their lives, empowering new generations of healthcare leaders. Get ready to learn and grow in an energized environment with year-round curricula, collaborating with talented colleagues and reimagining healthcare education as we know it.
- Minimal Travel (if any)
What makes a successful member of the Faculty team at West Coast University? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Socially Conscious
- Technologically Savvy
“If you are looking to work at a university that takes care of its students, faculty, and staff and allows you to live a prosperous, fulfilling, and healthy life, this is the place for you.”Paul P. Instructor ii, Gen Ed Non-sci, orange county
associate since 2013
We offer a generous benefits package with a wide range of the plans, programs and support you need to thrive.
Day of Service
Our Mission & Culture
At WCU, the work you do empowers our future nurses, therapists, dental hygienists and more — propelling them into our communities where they can do the most good. As part of our dynamic, energized culture, you’ll contribute to our unique mission that always puts students first. You’ll collaborate with incredible people, grow in your profession, and transform healthcare education. Discover what it means to truly believe in the work that you do.
Reporting directly to the Campus Associate Dean Nursing Academics (theory) or Manager Clinical Faculty (clinical), the Instructor I, Nursing (Undergraduate) supports the University in fulfillment of its mission, purpose and goals. Focuses extensively on facilitating student learning associated with prescribed course and program learning outcomes. Provides professional leadership and support, and serves as an educator, role model, mentor, and facilitator. Creates an educational environment which fosters innovation, responsiveness, and accountability. Provides program-specific expertise and is actively engaged in relevant department initiatives. Supports University, Campus, and/or departmental goals in order to assure compliance with programmatic accreditation and/or licensure, internal consistency, and graduate outcomes that meet student learning, workplace and placement expectations. Actively and substantively participates in assessment of student learning activities to maximize the potential for students to learn what is necessary to meet prescribed outcomes. Vigorously upholds a culture of academic integrity.
- Palmdale Regional is one of the clinical sites
- One year or less experience in teaching in a university or college setting required as defined by University’s faculty handbook.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Products, especially Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and other MS office products as needed.
- Working with online learning management systems to further engage the student learning process desirable.
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards such as state Board of Nursing, Commission on Dental Accreditation, state Dental Hygiene Committee, state Dental board, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or other regulators and/or accreditation bodies.
- Clinical RN - Must have a minimum of two (2) year’s prior experience as a registered nurse providing direct patient care and have a minimum of one year experience in the field in which they teach
Must have the minimum higher education background required by the program. Must provide a documented background in educational methodology consistent with teaching assignments including, but not limited to: education theory and practice, current concepts relative to specific subjects one will be teaching, current clinical practice experience or distance education techniques and delivery.
Master’s degree in specialty field required.
Graduates from the West Coast University Master of Science in Nursing program, who meet the minimum experience requirement as a registered nurse, are eligible for consideration as a clinical faculty immediately following graduation.
If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization required.
In California, must meet Board of Registered Nursing requirements as stipulated in their statues:
Section 1425(c) states, " An instructor shall meet the following minimum qualifications: 1425(a)(1) A Master or higher degree from an accredited college or university which includes course work in nursing, education, or administration. If degree other than in nursing submit information verifying course work in nursing education."
1425(c)(3) Completion of at least one (1) years’ experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes PRACTICE IN TEACHING REGISTERED NURSING. Submit official course description to verify course content.
1425(c)(2) Direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing area to which he or she is assigned, which can be met by: (A) One (1) year's continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in the designated nursing area; or (B) One (1) academic year or of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent.
- Current unencumbered Registered Nurse License required; other current professional licensure by state or national board if applicable (e.g., FNP).
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set forth by the state Board of Nursing for nursing faculty if required for assigned subject matter instruction.
- Current CPR card.
- Clinical RN - Must have approval by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) (if required by the state) prior to assuming the role of clinical faculty member.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set forth by any accrediting body that West Coast University is accredited by or in process of obtaining accreditation from, for area of expertise and expectations of faculty member as set forth in regulatory documents.
- Must maintain any professional certifications deemed necessary to meet the requirements of the teaching role.
- Current certification in basic life support procedures including healthcare provide CPR with an Automated External Defibrillator.
- Health certifications for an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Category I classified position (potential for exposure to infectious diseases at work). As an essential component of the West Coast University infection-control program immunizations and tuberculosis clearance documentation is required in accordance with current Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and OSHA recommendations and guidelines for Health-Care Personnel. Below are health certification details which are subject to change as required by OSHA and CDC.
To comply with the requirements of the clinical sites, the orders issued by the California Department of Public Health, and other local, state, and federal law and/or regulation, this position requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
No recently viewed jobs.
Don’t have any jobs saved yet? Then start looking! Once you’ve found one you’re interested in, click the heart icon to save a job.