Program Dean, MSN FNPJob ID: 202823
The Program Dean, MSN – Family Nurse Practitioner Track, reporting to the Associate Dean, Post-Licensure Nursing, provides advanced practice nursing leadership, student-centric strategic and operational direction, and leadership of program accreditation and certification of graduates. Works closely with online distance education leadership, the other online program dean/directors, online staff, and full and part-time faculty to collaboratively achieve departmental and university outcomes. Responsible for programmatic success and compliance with all regulatory bodies. Oversees academic and clinical outcomes as well as student progression and success. Leads the coordination, development, and revision of curriculum and works closely with vendors to create successful learning outcomes in the online classroom as well as in the required clinical experiences. This leader works to improve licensure pass rates and job placement outcomes. They also coordinate the evaluation of teaching effectiveness and work to create highly engaging and meaningful learning experiences for WCU students.
- At least five years’ experience as a Nurse Practitioner with Family Nurse Practitioner certification and currently active as a practicing Nurse Practitioner.
- Experience teaching and leading in higher education.
- Experience in creating and maintaining programs that are sound in relation to clinical placements, board pass rates, and job placement for graduates.
- Relevant experience in a management/leadership administrative role.
- Understanding of higher education issues and how they impact nursing education.
- Understanding of online and distance education modalities and how to effectively run college level programs and operational systems within those modalities.
- High level digital literacy skills. Microsoft Office Suite, can navigate internal data systems like Power BI and Salesforce, Canvas Online Learning Management System, ADP, Oracle (non-exhaustive list).
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and build positive outcomes from higher-level strategy.
- Demonstrated skills in assessing student learning, including evaluation and assessment of clinical experiential learning.
NURSING-SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides clinical oversight and review of sites for student placement for the required practicum and residency hours.
- Develops the instructional component of clinical courses and ensures they are aligned with theory courses.
- Acts as the primary academic clinical contact for students and collaboratively works with the clinical placement team to ensure successful placement, tracking, and evaluation of student skill development throughout the clinical courses.
- Collaborates with colleagues and leaders (Dean, College of Nursing; Assistant Dean, Post-Licensure Programs, Dean of Online Education, Director of Clinical Operations, Nursing, Associate Deans, University Relations, Associates and Faculty) as needed for the intermediate and long-term development and improvement of programmatic outcomes.
- Vigilantly monitors completion, board pass rate, and job placement metrics to ensure compliance with CCNE standards and systematically works to improve those metrics over time.
- Provides oversight of all experiential learning (clinical practice) to better tie concepts together for students and to ensure the alignment of clinical practice learning activities with their didactic counterparts.
- Evaluates clinical sites and meets with preceptors and clinical agency representatives for the purpose of oversight and to ensure Program Learning Outcomes are being met.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of preceptors in mentoring students and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Acts as point of contact for clinical vendors, book publishers and software companies that provide services to the program.
- Counsels students as needed.
- Maintains active clinical practice as required and recommended by accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Actively participates in professional organizations to include, but not limited to, AANP, ANCC, CCNE, CANP, ACNL and others.
- Creates programmatic review documents for accreditors such as CCNE, BRN, and WSCUC and attends all institutional reviews.
- Ensures compliance with accreditation and regulatory standards from AACN, CCNE, BRN, AANP, ANCC (non-exhaustive list).
- Maintains and manages vendors and supplies needed for clinical training.
- Contributes to the University’s strategic and annual planning process as it relates to the MSN Program
- Coordinates, attends, and reviews on-site intensive experiences for students.
(Every effort has been made to identify the essential skills/qualifications of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only skills/qualifications you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of skills/qualifications does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential skill/qualification of the position.)
- Ability to manage and work effectively in a highly diverse student and associate community.
- Ability to use effective communication skills, both oral and written, including complex proposals and presentations.
- Ability to listen.
- Ability to adapt and change course where necessary.
- Ability to speak before public groups.
- Ability to manage projects and people as well as participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- Ability to effectively use interpersonal skills, follow through with duties, provide attention to detail, and demonstrate the ability to motivate others.
- Ability to effectively resolve difficult and sensitive issues.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze data and utilize data to prepare necessary reports.
- Ability to self-direct and function well under pressure of deadlines and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise good judgment.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to travel for work-related events, including but not limited to, graduations, on-site intensives, and meetings with partners and vendors.
- Exhibits initiative, enthusiasm, and teamwork in accomplishing the responsibilities of the position.
- Master of Science in Nursing with national board certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Doctoral degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited university required.
- Current active RN License.
- Current national certification as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Other relevant certifications required by state and federal law.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
“My colleagues and coworkers are sincerely passionate about student success and have a strong team spirit. Our fundamental goal is to improve the quality in our education and service. WCU rewards people with strong team-spirit, a great vision, dedicated commitment, and a high ethical standard.”SOPHIE S.ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, GEN ED SCI, ORANGE COUNTY
ASSOCIATE SINCE 2017
No recently viewed jobs.
Don’t have any jobs saved yet? Then start looking! Once you’ve found one you’re interested in, click the heart icon to save a job.